Friday, July 8, 2016

S Y N E S T H E S I A - Shane Karstel

These are the first two works for Synesthesia. What drew me to his work was the mythical blue hand, reaching out, reminding me of an Indian Deity. The title was "Co-Create", which is what I felt the intention behind Synesthesia was.

The two works I chose of his, deal with inner strength, and a journey to discovering more about yourself. I am on this path every day, and I love having briefly walked along his path, through his paintings.

I felt an awareness that was unpolished, but sincere. A creative drive that was both vulnerable, and powerful. A fulfilled need for expression, that came from the source of his being. Thank you for sharing your art.

CO-CREATE
Man is created of the universe and is the universe itself.
The tools we use to sculpt our own lives are not held by Hands of flesh but by the hand of the mind. It is with tools of thought and intention that the abstract background of the 'un-manifested' can be shaped to become the reality that we sense and experience.
We work with the universe and are partners in it, designing and putting ether into form to create tangible experiences with strangers, friends and family. - Shane Karstel

When composing for Co-Create, I combined literally transposing the lines of the picture into melody lines, and the story that I imagined when looking at the painting. The story is that of someone who is deserted, stranded, and calling out. After continually calling out, and reaching the ends of desperation, an answers arises from within.

It starts with the thrust of the hand into nothingness. The melody line mimics the arm and fingers reaching out. The reaching withdraws, and nothing is found.

I then focused on the background, layering the lines on top of each other. This is likened to the internal dialogue that we have, to comfort ourselves, look for answers within ourselves. There is a mild conclusion, but the desperation is unsatisfied, and leads to a repeat of the section.

Complete desolateness and loneliness sets in. It is acceptance of the self, but is followed by anger, and a repeated call. This is rewarded with a new answer. Unity, lightness and peace comes from within.

POWER, STRENGTH, COURAGE
We are all unlimited beings and understand this to be true in ourselves in some degree.
Figuratively the subject of the painting is a warrior embodying the qualities of power, strength and courage. Power to create the world we want to see, strength in both physical and mental capacities and courage to endure, no matter the cost or the sacrifices.
The deliberate abstraction of the piece speaks to the nature of our own emergent warriors that are themselves hard to define. Each observer will see what he or she wants to see and that interpretation is most true. - Shane Karstel

Oddly, when looking at this painting, I had no idea what intention Shane had with it. I felt a great sense of warmth, and comfort, and almost relief. It felt like a mother cradling a child.

After expressing this warmth, I let myself use the lines in the painting to develop the song, starting with the converging vertical pink, blue and black lines. This naturally developed a theme, that I let run it's course.

Then I was stuck for a bit. I eventually noticed that there is a vertical white line, perpendicular to a black line, weaving through the painting. I composed for that, with the white staying in one place, musically, and the black working it's way up to it.

Then I was stuck again. I gazed into the painting. Many times. It seemed like there were caves, and it was an adventurer exploring them. The piece became more hypnotic, and I allowed myself to let patterns develop in my playing, to let it guide itself. And so the piece will always be guiding itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment